Thursday, February 9, 2012

Assassin's Creed 2

Disclaimer: This rant will openly discuss spoilerific story elements. It is not a gameplay review, although gameplay will be brought up if it is important to/detracts from the story.


I'm pretty poor, so I'm late in getting around to games. I generally don't play things right when they come out these days, which is why I only recently beat Assassin's Creed 2.

I quite liked the first game. Sure, the storytelling was bad (mostly non-existant) and the gameplay flawed, but it was incredibly immersive and had some very lifelike characters. Altair was deeply flawed from the get-go. A immature, prickish little badass, he was constantly fed humble pie throughout the course of the game. Flawed characters in stories that highlight those flaws can be among the most unique and memorable characters in storytelling.

If AC1 had done a better job showing Altair's supposed character growth on screen, he would probably be among my favorite video game characters.  They didn't, so Altair winds up unfairly backlined on my list.

My point is this: I was really excited about AC2. I went into it prepared to love it, but the characters and story got in the way.

Let's have a look at Ezio himself.

On to Ezio Auditore...

No comments:

Post a Comment